After 36 hours and a lot of amazing work by the electric company, the town and county...not to mention police & fire departments and local ambulance corps THE POWER IS BACK ON!
Many of us will check on and dispose of perishables that did not stay refrigerated.
A good precaution is to also check the automatic ice cube dispenser if you have one. If water comes out when you go for that first glass of ice then water has been sitting inside the unit. Best precaution is to dump the ice and rinse the unit. Look inside. If there is a color on the plastic like black, green or orange, the unit needs to be thoroughly cleaned. (If you ever heard Chef Robert Irvine on his TV show scream about an ice machine this is what he found.)
Sunday, January 28, 2018
Increase Energy and Decrease Inflammation in Minutes A Day
(and at very low cost!)
Today, I introduce the extra credit of increasing energy, lowering pain, inflammation, acidity and stress in minutes a day.
If you are already drinking lemon juice in water upon waking and want more easy steps to really just feeling better here are 2 ways:
1. Eat more dark green vegetables. Spinach, kale, and broccoli are examples of these natural sources of healthy for muscles nutrients like magnesium and immune boosting beta carotene. Green vegetables also decrease acidity levels aka increase alkalinity in the body. As discussed in Part I in this Blog decreasing excess acidity lowers inflammation and increase health and well-being.
2. Instead of merely adding lemon juice to water and drinking on an empty stomach as discussed in Part I of this Blog on decreasing inflammation try blending a whole lemon! Yes, seeds, peel, the white pithy stuff, everything! I like to puree the lemon with ice to make an Italian style ice. Use an organic lemon to avoid the pesticides and the pesticides nasty taste embedded in the skin. Health benefits of the whole lemon include: Vitamin C and fiber which can help immunity, heart health, digestion, kidney health, be beneficial against anemia and more!
Saturday, April 29, 2017
Cheese vs. Cheese Food
What's the Difference?
Once again, looking at nutrition we start with my Mom, Diana.
Going shopping as a kid, my Mom always stopped us from buying Cheese Food, Cheese Food Product, Cheese Food Snack and Pastuerized Process Cheese Food (PPCF) along with any other deviants from "Cheese." So, what's the difference?
According to the Sargento Company website cheese is 100% cheese and cheese food or PPCF is something with a minimum of 51% cheese as an ingredient. Ouch.
Thus the name Kraft Singles on the package above. At least the PPCF is clearly noted after the word American on the label.
The Sargento website goes on to say that the following steps are how Processed Pasteurized Cheese Food/PPCF is created:
1. The process starts with a minimum of 51% real cheese.
2. This is ground down and may be mixed with any of the following items including artificial coloring, flavoring, other dairy ingredients, water, salt and mold inhibitors.
3. The mixture is heated to at least 150 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 30 seconds.
4. While heating, emulsifiers and acidifiers may be added.
5. The final product, with a minimum of 51% real cheese, is individually wrapped in plastic creating the Pasteurized Process Cheese Food (PPCF) found in the dairy department of your local supermarket.
Pasteurized Process Cheese Product according to the small print on the side of the front label!
Now I am not saying the PPCF and similarly named items don't taste good, aren't less expensive sometimes, aren't easier to separate slices or don't have some nutritional value. I do think we should look over the ingredients list when purchasing. Or, as my Mom would say, "no, we can't buy that. It's not real cheese."
Here is the list of ingredients in Kraft Singles according to the Huffington Post along with some editorial comments by me in blue ink:
I would like to add at this point that when deciding on which cheese to eat often opt for the harder cheeses. Why?
1. They have generally have required more enzymatic reaction to create so in essence they are "pre-digested" making them more easily digested when eaten and therefore often produce less gastric upset.
2. They are often made in smaller batches with less "chemicals" and additives.
3. They are less often artificially softened.
|The nerves of the spine help regulate |
digestion and elimination
5. There is debate over the nutritional necessity of eating dairy:
Pro- source of calcium, potassium, Vitamin B-12 and helps regulate phosphorous in the boday, source of protein and fat.
Con-sometimes hard to digest, not highly absorbable form of calcium in milk, common allergies and intolerances to milk, weight gain association.
Not sure what is best for you? Contact me here on the BLOG or call for a free 15 minute phone consultation.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
A study of 100 volunteers showed improved brain function in 4 tested areas including greater "brain relaxation" after a Chiropractic adjustment as measured by EEG!
Is it no wonder that kids perform better in school and their parents credit their Chiropractic adjustments?
Research presnted at Sherman College of Chiropractic Symposium
Saturday, February 18, 2017
How Many Bones In A Giraffe's Neck?
When my daughter was four years old we were visiting the San Diego Zoo. I was holding my daughter in my arms as we looked up at the giraffes. A docent (volunteer) tour guide came by with a small group on a tour and stood next to us. The tour guide explained to the group that a human has 7 bones in the neck. She asked how many bones do they think might be in a giraffe's neck? Without hesitating my daughter promptly answered the question correctly "seven!" The docent was shocked as no one apparently ever gets the answer correct and usual guesses ranged in the twenties, thirties and beyond. It helps to be the Chiropractor's daughter in this challenge, I guess.
The functioning of the neck is so critical to life that if one is born with 6 or 8 cervical bones they will surely not live! Infact, of all the mammals, only the super slow moving slouth can live if they are born with 6 or 8 cervical bones!